Explore creatures of the night through bones, skins, spider webs, pellets and tracks. Discover the world of bats, owls, insects, and nocturnal mammals. This program action packed program takes youth into the night to compare bats and humans, examine owl pellets, make a spiders web and learn about unlikely partnerships. We will share a sense of wonder and curiosity for nighttime creatures, their body systems, special adaptations, how they interact in their dark world.
This program features:
1. A short PowerPoint presentation with AV, introducing students into the world of bats, owls, nocturnal mammals, & insects.
2. Learning Stations with activities, including:
• Bats (bat bones, descriptions, matching conservation concerns & solutions)
• Owls (Great Horned, special adaptions & owl pellet dissection)
• Insects (Look at spiders-build a web and insects- do a parts match)
• Badgers, coyotes, porcupines, muskrats & skunks (biofacts, match the animal with its tracks)
3. Hike (Optional)
• Grassland hills: talk about Prairie dwelling bats, coyotes, and badgers.
• Forest: discuss Forest dwelling bats, porcupines, spiders, and skunks.
• Pond or river: focus on Water related bats, and muskrats.